Saturday, July 30, 2011

The OCD Toy Collector

OCD is an abbreviation for Obsessive–compulsive disorder. The phrase "obsessive–compulsive" has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is excessively meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed, or otherwise fixated.
(Source : Wikipedia)


While I have not been clinically diagnosed with OCD, I do see myself as one when it comes to my collecting habits. Hi, I am Ian from Malaysia. I have been collecting toys since 2003. I started, yes, you guess it with Star Wars. After that I dabble with another childhood love of mine, Transformers. This is then followed by Neca, Kaiyodo Revoltech, Mattel Batman and those lovely 1/6 Hot Toys.

Early on, I must confess that I got into some credit trouble in order to satisfy my completionist behavior. I tried being a mint-on-card collector, sometimes making toy runs to multiple stores especially when searching for the TAC 2008 collection. I reached the point of spending more than 1k in three separate months in the peak of my obsession. I guess I learned it the hard way.

These days I had trimmed my collection down substantially, focusing on Star Wars 3 3/4 loose figures, 1/6 scales and kept a few Transformers.  The rest have since been sold off in a galactic purge to cover my debts. I realized that in order to enjoy collecting, one should focus on quality, not quantity. That means being practical like having a loose collection which saves more space and not being preoccupied with buying everything in a series just for the sake of completion.

While I do admire MOC collectors and completionist, I feel everyone should find a manner most suitable for themselves. Everyone collector should be proud of their collection regardless of size or how much it cost. It should be about how you feel about it, not about competing with others or a chasing a pipe dream. Every collection is as unique as the collector themselves. A hobby like collecting should always be a positive experience that should not affect our daily duties or responsibilities.

Over the course of this blog, I will archive what is in my collection.

No comments: